£39,000 to £50,000 Per Annum
Exciting opportunity for an inspirational teacher to lead One of London’s leading independent day school's flourishing Classics Departments
As Head of Classics, you will be involved in both its curricular and extra-curricular activities.
Are you a well-qualified and enthusiastic teacher of Classics, with a passion for the subject and excellent subject knowledge?
This role is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to make the move into a Head of Department role or gain further leadership experience.
If you are a good communicator who can enthuse and inspire both pupils and colleagues and have exciting ideas about the teaching of Latin and Greek, and the ways in which they can be further developed and encouraged, we would be delighted to hear from you.
Classics is a vibrant and thriving subject throughout all stages of the school. Latin is compulsory for all students for Years 8 and 9, and leads to a large take-up at GCSE, where Greek is also offered. Results at GCSE and A Level are consistently outstanding, with 100% of students gaining A-A* at A Level over the last five years.
*Every year students go on to study Classical degrees at Oxbridge or other top universities with two girls securing places at Oxford last year*
The Classical extra-curricular programme is rich and varied. There is a residential trip every year, with recent locations including Sicily, Rome and Pompeii. Alongside this are day-trips to museums and local classical sites, evening trips to lectures or the theatre, as well as several eminent visiting speakers. The Sixth Form are proactive and creative at keeping Classics at the forefront of the school, and currently run Classics ‘masterclasses’, in addition to spending a term teaching Latin to students at a local primary school.
The girls are ambitious, bright, enthusiastic and eager to learn and we offer a warm and supportive community. We occupy a site in suburban, leafy, west London with excellent transport links.
Competitive Salary on offer in the region of £39,000-£50,000 per annum but we welcome applicants just above this and some discretion afforded to the right applicant.
A variety of benefits are on offer, such as:
- Membership of Teaching Staff Pension Scheme
- Access to the central training and development programme
- Up to 50% discount on fees for children at the schools
- Training grants for obtaining further qualifications
- Season Ticket Loans: Interest free loans for travel are available to staff to enable them to buy annual season tickets
- Computer Loans: Interest free loans are available to staff to enable them to buy a computer for personal use at home
- Cycle Scheme: the School is part of the scheme which enables staff to purchase bicycles and equipment at a tax advantageous rate and pay for the equipment over 12 months
- Lunches: free lunches are provided to all staff during term time
- Four weeks’ study leave for teachers after ten years’ continuous service Accredited NQT induction
PurplePower is acting as the agency on this Permanent opportunity. For details on our Data usage, please refer to the PurplePower website